Friday, February 14, 2014

A little late

Warning: Thoughts on a tragic event.

Last week I went to the information session for the school that Oliver will most likely go to in the fall.  It is a good school and I think that he'll be fine there.  

One of the very first things after the introduction of the principal was a discussion of safety during the school day.  For the most part, it was there are badges and the principal usually knows the people in the school and pretty much everybody will stop and ask you who/why you are there from a "friendly" standpoint.  But sitting there in the school library I just felt the magnitude of Newtown in a way that I hadn't before.  And I know that there has been plenty of real and virtual words that talk about it, but it hit home soo much clearer than before.  And my heart broke again for the teachers who risked their lives, the students and teachers who lost their lives, and the parents who will never watch their children go into second graders, tweens, adults.  And I almost started bawling right there.  

Intellectually, I know that Newtown is an isolated event.  I know that in the course of the 15 years that my sons will be part of the public school system, the only reason they will (most likely) on "lockdown" is because of over-zealous principals and police.  But I can imagine the fear and worry that some principals must have because of these events.  

May our children be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment